Thursday, January 6, 2011

21 Days Closer to Christ


Two or three years ago I bought the book "21 Days Closer to Christ" by Emily Freeman, with paintings by Simon Dewey. I was very impressed by the beautiful pictures and uplifting message of this book. However, I have to admit, even thought I read through most of it at the time I purchased it, I never applied the book the way it was intended.

So now I am going back to the book again, this time with a more deliberate purpose. My intent is to not just read, but STUDY, PONDER and PRAY about each of the sections in the book over a period of time.

Today for Gospel Doctrine class (adult Sunday School class for my church) I had been asked ahead of time to share a favorite scripture from the New Testament and explain why it was meaningful for me.

The passage I turned to was Mark 1:16-18 which says: "now as he walked by the sea of Galilee, he saw Simon and Andrew- his brother casting a net into the sea: for they were fishers. And Jesus said unto them, Come ye after me, and I will make you to become fishers of men. And straightway they forsook their nets, and followed him."

In the margin of that page I had written:
What things do I need to put down like the fisherman's nets in order to follow Christ? How can I straightway forsake all that stands in my way?

I spoke about the importance of not just removing myself from sin and evil, but also of recognizing when GOOD and WORTHY things may be taking so much of my time, focus and attention that I lose sight of what is eternal. I talked about how this scripture reminds me of the danger of distraction. While I cannot just walk away from earning a living at this point, I CAN walk away from having my thoughts focused so much on things of this world.

When I read this for the class I noticed that over at the top of the page I had written: Day One: 3/8/08 - "Come and See..." Apparently back then I had started out studying the scriptures with the Freeman book as a guide. Unfortunately, I know I never got very far with it. I plan to do better this time.

Over on Mind-Muffins, my primary blog, I recently wrote a post about the power of persistence. Too many times in the past I've started various projects or goals but have given up on them when they got frustrating or difficult. As we begin a new year I am deliberately NOT setting myself up with any specific resolutions, mostly because of all the many times in the past I've started out with grand hopes and plans only to watch myself dwindle in resolve when I got too busy, too bored, too distracted or too frustrated either by lack of immediate results or mediocre outcomes from my early attempts.

If there is one area in my life I would really like to improve it is this -I want to become more consistent and develop greater follow through on the things that I start. I want to strengthen my ability to "endure to the end."

I managed to stick with it on my sock project. I know how rewarding it was in that case simply to start out with a worthwhile goal and see it through to completion, even though there were times I really did want to quit. Strengthening my knowledge about and testimony of Jesus Christ has the potential to be far more powerful in my life that creating fuzzy socks. So in this I am determined to stay with it this time all the way to the end.

I am beginning again with mindful, deliberate study of the scriptures, following the outline of this book. By incorporating what I learn from this study into my blog it will give me a level of accountability - as well as a record I can refer back to later. However, rather than trying once more to do something I know I'm not likely to follow through on consistently, this time I am going to go about it just a bit differently to be a better fit for my life. Instead of doing this every single day, I am going to focus on one section each Sunday after church. When I have the time and the interest I will post on other days throughout the week. But I am COMMITTING to doing it AT LEAST every Sunday.

This feels like a good way to start out the new year...way better than the stacks of resolutions that in the past have gone flapping in the wind by Valentine's Day.

So I begin with the Invitation spoken of so often in the scriptures, and in the hymn "If With All Your Hearts" (Children's Songbook 15):
"If with all your hearts ye truly seek me,
Ye shall ever surely find me,
Thus saith our God."

D&C 86:63
"Draw near unto me and I will draw near unto you; seek me diligently and ye shall find me; ask, and ye shall receive; knock, and it shall be opened unto you."

Psalms 105:4
"Seek the Lord, and his strength: seek his face evermore."

Jeremiah 29:13
And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart.

No comments: