Monday, June 25, 2007

Atonement



"We believe that through the atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved, by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel." (3rd Article of Faith)

Perhaps the most significant AND the most incomprehensible topic in the universe is the that of the Atonement of Christ.

I believe that Christ's sacrifice in Gethsemane far outweighs His death on Calvary. Yes, the crucifixion was a necessary step so that He could die and then be resurrected, breaking the bands of death. But what good would any of that have been without the other step, which allowed Him to also overcome the sins of the world?

Perhaps I'm wrong in giving one greater precedence that the other. Truly, together the two parts of salvation and exaltation work in tandem. As it says in Moses 1:39 - "For behold, this is my work and my glory—to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man."

Through Christ I will become an immortal being - I will live again after this mortal body is laid to rest. But even more precious to me, through Him I can also gain Eternal Life, which is to return to live in the presence of God. Without the atonement of Christ I would be forever lost, for truly "No unclean thing can dwell in the presence of God."

He knows my actions, He knows my thoughts, He knows the intent of my heart, He knows my desires. There is MUCH there that is unclean.

But, as I am taught in Isaiah 1:18 "...though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool."

I stand in awe of that.

What I know for sure is that Christ is the Savior of the world - the mediator, the one who made it possible for me to be accepted back into the presence of God even though I have many shortcomings and sins.

What I DON'T know is how this is possible. The whole process of balancing Justice & Mercy remains incomprehensible to me.

What does it mean that He took on my sins? How was that possible? What role does my faith, obedience and repentance have in how I access His priceless gift?

I believe that we will ALL be resurrected as a free gift from the Savior. He wiped out death for each of us, no matter if we were wicked or good, wise or stupid, striving or lazy. But I believe He expects something from us in order for us to fully be forgiven for sin. I believe there is a requirement that I acknowledge my sin, that I allow myself to experience true sorrow and humility, surrendering my sinner's heart to the Savior. I believe I need to honestly strive to overcome my weaknesses. I also need to be willing to forgive others who have caused harm to me. However, no matter what I do - I cannot of my own efforts "earn" my way into the Kingdom of God. I need to do all I can. But in the end, it is ONLY through the Atonement of Christ that I can be forgiven and allowed to enter God's presence.

His Grace is something I just can't wrap my mind around. Still, I know it is real. One scripture I absolutely appreciate is the one found in Mosiah 4:9

"Believe in God; believe that he is, and that he created all things, both in heaven and in earth; believe that he has all wisdom, and all power, both in heaven and in earth; believe that man doth not comprehend all the things which the Lord can comprehend."

There is much I cannot comprehend. But I do know that God lives. I do know that Christ is the means by which I can be forgiven.

On occasion I have attended an Orthodox church and I've been to three different monasteries of that faith. From them I've learned the Greek phrase: "Kyrie Eleison" meaning Lord, have mercy.

The Orthodox concept of mercy is described by Anthony M. Coniaris He writes:

The excellent book "Orthodox Worship" describes the meaning of the word mercy as follows:

"The word mercy in English is the translation of the Greek word eleos. This word has the same ultimate root as the old Greek word for oil, or more precisely, olive oil; a substance which was used extensively as a soothing agent for bruises and minor wounds. The oil was poured onto the wound and gently massaged in, thus soothing, comforting and making whole the injured part. The Hebrew word which is also translated as eleos and mercy is hesed, and means steadfast love. The Greek words for 'Lord, have mercy,' are 'Kyrie, eleison' that is to say, 'Lord, soothe me, comfort me, take away my pain, show me your steadfast love.' Thus mercy does not refer so much to justice or acquittal a very Western interpretation but to the infinite loving-kindness of God, and his compassion for his suffering children! It is in this sense that we pray 'Lord, have mercy,' with great frequency throughout the Divine Liturgy."

I've come to understand at a very personal level that the Atonement of Christ is NOT limited to taking away my sins. As critical as that is, He went even further. Through the atonement, Christ took on all my pains and sorrow. He took on my grief. He took on my loneliness. He took on my self doubt. He took on every moment of fear or shame or sadness. If I allow Him to, He is willing to STILL carry those things, to comfort me, to take my flawed, sinners heart and make me whole.

Lord have mercy
Lord have mercy
Lord have mercy

No comments: