Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Who Was Jesus Christ?



For the past several years I have been assigned to teach various groups of children in Primary, the auxilary organization for children within the LDS church. I've recently been released from this calling, and have been reassigned to work in "Relief Society" which is the organization for adult women. I know from experience that there are opportunities for growth where ever I may serve, but as I make this transition I can't help but reflect on all I've learned while working with the children, and how much I will miss my time there.

In Primary there are monthly themes that convey basic ideas about the gospel. Those themes are then supported by various lessons each week intended to clarify for the children the basic teachings that will give direction to their lives.

The theme for this past February was: "My faith in Jesus Christ grows when I know who He is." (And we believe and are sure that thou art that Christ, the Son of the living God” John 6:69).

That was follwed up in April with "My faith in Jesus Christ grows when I know He is my Savior and Redeemer." (“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life” John 3:16).

The final monthly theme for the year wil be "Jesus Christ once lived on the earth, and I have faith that He will come again." (“This same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven” Acts 1:11).

There are so many different ideas in the world about who Christ really was. It is essential that I learn all I can about His life and mission. But beyond knowing things ABOUT Christ, it's far more critical that I know Him in the context of developing a relationship with Him. I do not view Jesus Christ as a facinating historical figure. I know Him to be a very real being who exists TODAY and who has an ongoing interest in my concerns.

One of the songs we often sing that truly resonates with what I believe about Jesus Christ is "I Know That My Redeemer Lives” (Hymns, no. 136)

So, for me the title/heading for this post is all wrong. It should not be who WAS Jesus Christ. It should be who IS Christ. Because He is very much alive. There is much I do not know or understand. But this I am absolutely certain of.

1 comment:

Mom not Mum (Sandy) said...

I had a neighbor who was a pastor and one Sunday I went to church with all my neighbors to visit his small church. It was a very casual service - in fact I don't believe my neighbors shoes were even tied while he gave his sermon. Standing there in shorts, a t-shirt and a pair of vans - but he had a full congregation so that's not really the point. He gave his sermon - which really seemed like more of a sunday school lesson to me. What really got me was during his sermon he asked "who is Jesus Christ?" and responded to his own question with "nobody REALLY knows." I just kept thinking - well open up that book you have there and read a bit more - you'll get to know him a bit better.